The President notified the creation of the Department of Health Research under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare through an amendment to the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961 on the 17th September 2007. The Department of Health Research was formally launched on 5th October 2007 by the Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences in a function presided over by the Minister for Health & Family Welfare, in the presence, inter-alia, of the Minister of State for Health & Family Welfare.
Department of Health Research (DHR) was created as a separate Department within the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare by an amendment to the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961 on 17th Sept, 2007. The Department became functional from November 2008 with the appointment of first Secretary of the Department. The aim of the DHR is to bring modern health technologies to the people through research and innovations related to diagnosis, treatment methods and vaccines for prevention; to translate them into products and processes and, in synergy with concerned organizations, introduce these innovations into public health system.
The following 10 functions (nine new functions, plus the function of administering the ICMR) have been allocated to the Department of Health Research:
- Promotion and co-ordination of basic, applied and clinical research including clinical trials and operational research in areas related to medical, health, biomedical and medical profession and education through development of infrastructure, manpower and skills in cutting edge areas and management of related information thereto.
- Promote and provide guidance on research governance issues, including ethical issues in medical and health research.
- Inter-sectoral coordination and promotion of public- private – partnership in medical, biomedical and health research related areas.
- Advanced training in research areas concerning medicine and health, including grant of fellowships for such training in India and abroad.
- International co-operation in medical and health research, including work related to international conference in related areas in India and abroad.
- Technical support for dealing with epidemics and natural calamities.
- Investigation of outbreaks due to new and exotic agents and development of tools for prevention.
- Matters relating to scientific societies and associations, charitable and religious endowments in medicine and health research areas.
- Coordination between organization and institutes under the Central and State Governments in areas related to the subjects entrusted to the Department and for the promotion of special studies in medicine and health.
- Administering and monitoring of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
The Deptt. is headed by Secretary with two Joint Secretaries to assist in decision making. Four Deputy Secretaries and four Under Secretaries are posted in the Department as given in the Organisational Chart. The Programme Management and Implementation Unit is supervised by Programme Managers/Scientists.
The Deptt. invites proposals in health research field and after examination under due process of Technical Evaluation Committee’s recommendation & approval of Approval Committee, releases grants to the Institutions/Researchers. There is no direct delivery of service to the Public.
Grievances are assigned to a designated desk and are monitored by a Nodal officer.
The Deptt. works in accordance with provisions made in the CCS Rules for specified purposes. The Deptt. does not have any exclusive rules/regulations and its functions are regulated by CCS Rules and instructions issued by the Govt. from time to time. Posting and Transfer of staff is administered by the M/o H&FW.
The maximum documents held by the Deptt. fall under category C and section concerned is custodian of the documents.